The Math Learning Center (MLC) is a non-profit education organization with a track record of developing high-quality mathematics materials, including Bridges in Mathematics. We create materials that engage students, promote classroom community and discourse, and help more than 80,000 elementary teachers across the country deliver effective mathematics instruction.
Are you an energetic Event Planner who is passionate about education? If so, this position might be right for you. At MLC, you will coordinate the logistics of our internal and external events, conferences, and trade shows. As a member of the marketing team, you will collaborate with our leaders to plan high-quality events that connect us to our customers and inspire the math education community.
This position is based in Oregon. In this hybrid or onsite role, office days are in our Portland, Oregon, and Salem, Oregon offices. Travel is a fun part of this role, with a few national trips throughout the year to support events.
What you will do:
- Manage planning and logistics of internal and external events, conferences, trade shows, industry meetings, and other events that allow MLC to interact with current and potential customers.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to understand the purpose and audience of each event, identify MLC’s goals for the event, and ensure those goals are met.
- Research site locations for suitability, prepare bid comparisons, and negotiate hotel blocks and venue rates.
- Manage contracts with support from our contract administrator and other internal teams, as needed.
- Coordinate with facilities, lodging, food and beverage, travel and entertainment vendors, and event sponsors to ensure seamless logistics for event attendees.
- Monitor and manage expenditures within budget.
- Develop and implement plans for increasing awareness and outreach through event opportunities and evaluate and debrief their efficiency and effectiveness, in collaboration with the marketing team.
- Act as the primary contact for staff to answer questions and inquiries regarding events and outreach programs.
- Purchase, pack, and ship event and trade show materials, including organizing and tracking inventory of materials in our Salem office/warehouse.
- Arrange and coordinate event and trade show shipping and receiving in partnership with MLC’s shipping team, freight vendors, event venues, and package shipping companies.
How you are qualified:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Two years of experience planning and coordinating events, projects, or programs with multiple stakeholders and contributors.
- Valid insurable Driver's License for local travel, including to our Salem, Oregon office.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- You bring an enthusiastic approach to customer service and have strong problem-solving and decision-making abilities.
- You are collaborative and thrive managing both details and big-picture goals.
We offer our employees an excellent work environment that includes:
- An emphasis on collaboration, with all staff expected to participate in achieving organizational goals.
- A dedicated team of mission-driven professionals passionate about math education.
- Competitive pay and benefits.
- Paid Time-Off: 12 holidays, 24 additional days PTO, and a wellness week.
- Health Insurance (medical, dental, vision): Premiums paid at 100% for employees.
- Retirement: 401(k) plan with 3% employer contribution and 2% match.
- Disability and Life Insurance: Employer-paid short-term, long-term, and group life.
Offers of employment are contingent upon successfully passing a background check and drug screen. The Math Learning Center requires all employees to complete CDC-recommended COVID-19 vaccinations.
The Math Learning Center is an equal opportunity employer. We provide fair and equal opportunities for all employees and job applicants regardless of race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, marital status, familial status, disability, or genetic information, in compliance with applicable federal, state and local law. The Math Learning Center hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the job to be filled.